Here are 5 reasons why exercise and physical activity is important in cancer rehabilitation, thanks to @AmyDennett1, originally published on the La Trobe Sport and Exercise Medicine Research Blog.
5 reasons why exercise is important in cancer recovery:
- Exercise after cancer is associated with a reduction in cancer related death by up to 50%.
- Exercise may also reduce the risk of cancer recurrence by up to 35%.
- Exercise is the number one treatment for the most common and debilitating side effects of cancer – cancer related fatigue.
- Exercise is also helpful in remedying numerous other treatment side effects including reducing depression, preventing lymphedema and improving fitness and strength.
- There is also emerging data that exercise during toxic cancer treatments can improve the effectiveness and completion rates of chemotherapy.